[Gs-devel] More on PMingLiu font

L. Peter Deutsch ghost at aladdin.com
Tue Nov 13 01:02:35 PST 2001

> Can I build FreeType2 with bytecode interpreter without Apple's patent?

I believe that if you *define* NO_APPLE_PATENT and also define
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER, you will get a bytecode interpreter
that does not use Apple's patented algorithms.  Similarly, I believe that if
you *undefine* NO_APPLE_PATENT (which is the way that ttinterp.c is
configured by default), and also define
TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER, you will get a bytecode interpreter
that *does* use Apple's algorithms, and that therefore might be subject to
Apple's patents.

I believe there are some exceptions in U.S. patent law for "educational"
use, but I'm not sure our present discussion would qualify, so I wouldn't
rely on this.  I also don't know whether Apple has similar patents in Japan,
or, if they don't, whether this is even relevant, because of the
international nature of this dicussion.

In any case, these are just my guesses based on the name NO_APPLE_PATENT:
you should check this with the Freetype group, because NO_APPLE_PATENT is
not mentioned anywhere in the documentation.

--

L. Peter Deutsch     |    Aladdin Enterprises   |  203 Santa Margarita Ave.
ghost at aladdin.com    |  http://www.aladdin.com  |  Menlo Park, CA 94025

	The future of software is at http://www.opensource.org