[Gs-devel] More on PMingLiu font

Ray Johnston ray at artifex.com
Tue Nov 13 09:44:42 PST 2001

Dan & others,

If David Turner can tell us why NO_APPLE_PATENT should avoid
infringement on the relevant Apple TT patents, and our lawyer
concurs, then we have a viable solution for handling the 'trick'
Asian fonts that (mis)use the bytecode instructions to form
composite glyphs.

This is good news indeed!

Artifex failed to sign one customer due to the inability to
handle this and we have a bug report from open from another
customer with this same issue.

Once CIDFont subustitution is in place, Ghostscript may be
more widely used in the Asian market, so this capability is
also key.

Thank you all, especially Peter and M P Suzuki and Raph, for
your perserverance in investigating this.

Regards,
Ray