[Gs-devel] More on PMingLiu font

L. Peter Deutsch ghost at aladdin.com
Tue Nov 13 10:08:03 PST 2001

> Thank you for the information.  The problems are now very obvious.  The
> next question is: What do we do?  Miles has spent considerable effort at
> trying to get permission to use Adobe's TTF patents and has had no
> success.

I have (just now) asked David Turner of the FreeType group whether they
think compiling the FreeType interpreter with an instruction interpreter but
also with NO_APPLE_PATENT does or does not require an Apple patent license.
If it does not, then FreeType in that configuration will handle PMingLiu and
similar fonts properly, although it will still not do "real" TT hinting.  If
they believe a license is still required, we haven't made any progress, but
at least we have more information.

I can make an argument that no license is required, but I'm sure the
FreeType group has investigated this in depth already.

Now that I've seen the sample output that Mr. Suzuki kindly provided, and
understand better what is going on, I am also pursuing this question on my
own with an attorney.

--

L. Peter Deutsch     |    Aladdin Enterprises   |  203 Santa Margarita Ave.
ghost at aladdin.com    |  http://www.aladdin.com  |  Menlo Park, CA 94025

	The future of software is at http://www.opensource.org