[Gs-devel] More on PMingLiu font

L. Peter Deutsch ghost at aladdin.com
Tue Nov 13 10:46:35 PST 2001

> Mr. Suzuki's test uses TT bytecode interpreter, right ?
> We don't have license for it.
> So all this looks inapplicable.

Maybe not.  The patents don't cover the bytecodes: they cover particular
algorithms, which the TT specification says the bytecodes are supposed to
use.  The FreeType2 interpreter, compiled with NO_APPLE_PATENT, uses
somewhat different algorithms, that do hinting less well but that are good
enough to handle the special needs of fonts like PMingLiu, and that also
might not be subject to the patents.  I hope we will get answers about this
soon.

--

L. Peter Deutsch     |    Aladdin Enterprises   |  203 Santa Margarita Ave.
ghost at aladdin.com    |  http://www.aladdin.com  |  Menlo Park, CA 94025

	The future of software is at http://www.opensource.org