[Gs-devel] More on PMingLiu font

Dan Coby dan at artifex.com
Tue Nov 13 15:44:50 PST 2001

All,

My understanding, and I am also NOT a lawyer, is that one can patent
the use of an algorithm in a specific application.  Thus you cannot
patent the calculation of the distance between two points but you
can patent its use in an application.

There is another constraint upon patents.  You cannot patent something
which is "obvious to a person knowledgeable in the art".  This clause
should make the patenting of the application of simple trigonometry
very difficult.  However the patenting of the application of non-
obvious algorithms is done.  I have often wondered, when looking at
patents, how they made it past the "non obvious" criteria.

Dan