[gs-devel] Code history of GhostScript - port to Newton

Jim Witte jswitte at bloomington.in.us
Tue Aug 13 12:08:37 PDT 2002

Hi,

   I'm thinking of taking a look at the code of GS to see if it would be
remotely possible to port some version to the Apple Newton in C++
(probably a rather difficult proposition, as Newton C++ doesn't allow
persistent memory objects as far as we know).  What I'd like to know is
what version of the source should I look at trying to port?  I'd imagine
the earlier versions are probably smaller and would (perhaps) be easier,
but were there any major rewrites of the codebase, like happened with
Perl 5?  I'd like such a port to be able to render PDF files (either
directly, or with a desktop translator like the Palm PDF reader does).
Does that put any lower limits on the code version I should look at?

Thanks,

Jim Witte
jswitte at bloomington.in.us
http://www.bloomington.in.us/~jswitte