[gs-devel] PDF-A

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at lazerware.com
Thu Nov 6 09:12:15 PST 2003

At 1:47 PM +1100 11/6/03, luke.kendall at cisra.canon.com.au wrote:
>Well, what I really mean is: can you use the information for any purpose
>you can imagine, or have they restricted its use to a few specific
>purposes which they approve of?

	Here are the relevant pieces of language from the PDF 1.5
specification:

Accordingly, Adobe gives anyone copyright permission, subject to
the conditions stated below, to:
* Prepare files whose content conforms to the Portable Document Format
* Write drivers and applications that produce output represented in
the Portable
Document Format
* Write software that accepts input in the form of the Portable Document Format
and displays, prints, or otherwise interprets the contents
* Copy Adobe's copyrighted list of data structures and operators, as
well as the
example code and PostScript language function definitions in the written
specification, to the extent necessary to use the Portable Document Format for
the purposes above
The conditions of such copyright permission are:
* Authors of software that accepts input in the form of the Portable Document
Format must make reasonable efforts to ensure that the software they
create respects the access permissions and permissions controls
listed in Table 3.20 of
this specification, to the extent that they are used in any
particular document.
* Anyone who uses the copyrighted list of data structures and
operators, as stated above, must include an appropriate copyright
notice.

Accessing the document in ways not permitted by the document's access
permissionsis a violation of the document author's copyright.

This limited right to use the copyrighted list of data structures and
operators does not include the right to copy this book, other
copyrighted material from Adobe, or the software in any of Adobe's
products that use the Portable Document Format, in whole or in part,
nor does it include the right to use any Adobe patents, except as may
be permitted by an official Adobe Patent Clarification Notice (see
the Bibliography).

The Patent Clarification can be found at
<http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/legalnotices.jsp> and reads
as follows:

Patent Clarification Notice:
Reading and Writing PDF Files
Adobe has a number of patents covering technology that is disclosed
in the Portable Document Format (PDF) Specification, version 1.3 and
later, as documented in PDF Reference and associated Technical Notes
(the "Specification". Adobe desires to promote the use of PDF for
information interchange among diverse products and applications.
Accordingly, the following patents are licensed on a royalty-free,
non-exclusive basis for the term of each patent and for the sole
purpose of developing software that produces, consumes, and
interprets PDF files that are compliant with the Specification:

U.S. Patent Numbers:
* 5,634,064
* 5,737,599
* 5,781,785
* 5,819,301
* 6,028,583
* 6,289,364
* 6,421,460
In addition, the following patent is licensed on a royalty-free,
non-exclusive basis for its term and for the sole purpose of
developing software that produces PDF files that are compliant with
the Specification (specifically excluding, however, software that
consumes and/or interprets PDF files):

U.S. Patent Numbers:
* 5,860,074

Leonard