[gs-devel] **Reading Fonts Used**

Ray Johnston ray.johnston at artifex.com
Tue Nov 11 11:59:46 PST 2003

Kevin,

The ps2ascii.ps without the -dSIMPLE option will show the text and the
fonts (and sizes) used.

For example:

gs -q -dNODISPLAY -dDELAYBIND -dWRITESYSTEMDICT  ps2ascii.ps test.ps

where 'test.ps' contains:

/Courier 24 selectfont
100 100 moveto
(Test Line of Data) show

will produce the following output:

F 252 159 (Courier)
S 1000 1000 (Test Line of Data) 2448

See the comments at the top of lib/ps2ascii.ps for explanation of the
format.

Regards,
Ray Johnston

Kevin Gale wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I need to be able to read the list of fonts used in EPS / Illustrator files
> so my first port of call is Ghostscript.
> I'm sure the main command line tool outputs the fonts used as the file is
> being processed. Do I just capture this to a text file and parse it or is
> there a better way to do this?
>

> Cheers.
> kev.
>
> E-MAIL DISCLAIMER: The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. All information provided, including but not limited to, quotations, system specifications and suggestions concerning hardware/software (and services) configurations are strictly subject to our standard terms and conditions of business, copies of which are available on request.

Ray Johnston
Director of Engineering                          Tel: (714) 484-0376
Artifex Software Inc.                            Fax: (714) 220-1022