[gs-devel] scale postscript file to fit a3 paper

Ray Johnston ray.johnston at artifex.com
Wed Nov 12 15:12:38 PST 2003

Sebastian,

It's hard to tell why this didn't work, but -dFIXEDMEDIA does NOT
lock in the default resolution (default CTM).

The effects of the 'scale' operator can easily be overridden by
PS files using direct CTM setting, or by using 'initgraphics'
or any operators that re-initialize the graphics state (such as
setpage or setpagedevice).

The default scaling can be set using the /Install procedure of the
setpagedevice operator as in:

   << /Install { .92 .78 scale } bind >> setpagedevice

Try this and see if it works better. This can be fed to the
'gs' command using the -c option (in quotes) or as PS on the
command line instead of the 'scale' command you used.

Regards,
Ray

Sebastian Orfino wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I am trying to scale a PS file to fit an A3 paper using the scale
> command with no success.  I am doing this:
>
> # gs -sDEVICE=psmono -sOutputFile=scaled.ps -sPAPERSIZE=a3 -dFIXEDMEDIA
> GS> .92 .78 scale
> GS> (myfile.ps) run
> GS>quit
>
>     The resulting PS file is clipped (ok for this, because of
> FIXEDMEDIA), but it is not being scaled. Maybe I thought it was that
> easy and it is no so...
>
> Sorry for this somewhat trivial question,
> Sebastian.

Ray Johnston
Director of Engineering                          Tel: (714) 484-0376
Artifex Software Inc.                            Fax: (714) 220-1022