[gs-devel] scale postscript file to fit a3 paper

Ray Johnston ray.johnston at artifex.com
Thu Nov 13 16:40:51 PST 2003

PDF is a random access format. When Ghostscript creates PDF it may
do a little 'seeking' (random access) but most of this is handled
by creating several temporary files that can be read as needed in
a mostly sequential fashion. I doubt that Ghostscript can create
PDF output without (some) random access capability to the temp
files and the output file.

Sebastian Orfino wrote:

> Ray,
>     Thanks for your answer, it worked pretty well at least for the files
> I could test so far.
>     I have another question if you dont matter: I read somewhere that
> PDFs files need to be accesed randomly -due to the intrinsics of the
> format, I guess. Is this true only for reading or the same happens when
> GS creates such files ?
> Thanks in advance,
> Sebastian.
> On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 08:12 PM, Ray Johnston wrote:
>> Sebastian,
>> It's hard to tell why this didn't work, but -dFIXEDMEDIA does NOT
>> lock in the default resolution (default CTM).
>> The effects of the 'scale' operator can easily be overridden by
>> PS files using direct CTM setting, or by using 'initgraphics'
>> or any operators that re-initialize the graphics state (such as
>> setpage or setpagedevice).
>> The default scaling can be set using the /Install procedure of the
>> setpagedevice operator as in:
>>   << /Install { .92 .78 scale } bind >> setpagedevice
>> Try this and see if it works better. This can be fed to the
>> 'gs' command using the -c option (in quotes) or as PS on the
>> command line instead of the 'scale' command you used.
>> Regards,
>> Ray

Ray Johnston
Director of Engineering                          Tel: (714) 484-0376
Artifex Software Inc.                            Fax: (714) 220-1022