[gs-devel] is GS multi-threaded? (Is that the right question?)

Michael Geary listmail at gearyweb.com
Thu Oct 16 09:09:50 PDT 2003

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for chiming in on this. I'm afraid I have IM compiled using the
default options. I believe I know how to compile IM as 8-bit, but I i'm
not sure how to influence the fork/library setting. I see in the IM
README that there is a --without-gslib, but I assumed that would
prevent IM from taking advantage of GS.

here are lines in the IM "config.log" that appear to be relevant. Is
this at all helpful?

configure:30230: checking for gsapi_new_instance in -lgs
| char gsapi_new_instance ();
| gsapi_new_instance ();
configure:33295: checking for gs
configure:33313: found /usr/local/bin/gs
configure:33326: result: /usr/local/bin/gs
configure:33905: checking for gs color device
configure:33922: checking for gs mono device
configure:33934: checking for gs PDF writing device
configure:33946: checking for gs PS writing device
configure:33958: checking for gs EPS writing device
ac_cv_lib_gs_gsapi_new_instance=no
ac_cv_path_PSDelegate=/usr/local/bin/gs
PSDelegate='/usr/local/bin/gs'

Thanks for any insights you may have.

-michael

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, at 08:59 AM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> 	Make sure you are using the 8-bit Quantum sized version of
> ImageMagick, that will speed things up for you.
>
> 	Second, do you know if your IM is compiled to use the GS "library" or
> to fork off a process?  That will effect performance and threading
> issues...
>

> Leonard

michael geary
The Treeline Group, Inc., makers of PTeval
560 S. State Street, E-2
Orem, UT 84058

(801) 225-1414 x 1002
http://www.treelinegroup.com