[gs-devel] Re: A CJK expertise wanted

Leonardo leonardo at artifex.com
Tue Feb 21 00:29:18 PST 2006

Raph, Alex and others,

Thanks for the help.
I'd like to get some clarity.

First please note that I'm unable to get ideal raster for any glyph because
fonts are not well designed. Therefore we've got 2 types of differences
- regular ones and occasional ones. What you saying about
kanji after the text "SEK 2003" looks as an occasional difference.

What is more important now, is slightly sloped stems.
This is a regular difference through both examples.
What you're saying about hiragana "su"
falls into this case. In hint2 slightly sloped stems
look more sloped than in hint3.
Moreover some of them in hint3 may look unsloped
(i.e. transform to horizontal or vertical ones).
The question is whether this effect is critical or not for CJK world ?

Unfortunately hint3 is not always preferable.
It looks worse when a Roman text is slightly rotated or sloped.
Attaching an example.
Therefore if the answer for the question is "not critical"
or even "not fatal", I will go with hint3.

Leo.