[gs-devel] Re: A CJK expertise wanted

Raph Levien raph.levien at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 15:20:17 PST 2006

On 2/20/06, Leonardo <leonardo at artifex.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Two images attached.
> Could anybody please tell me,
> in which one the Japanese font looks/reads better ?
> Thank you.
>
> The attached ZIP file contains two rasters of same document.
> Rasters are created with two working revisions of Ghostscript,
> using ppmraw device at 300 dpi.
> One can open them with XnView.
> The difference is :
> hint2.ppm applies a grid fitting to stem poles.
> hint3.ppm applies a grid fitting to stem middles.

I think hint3 is slightly better, but there are a few glyphs in which
I prefer hint2. One example is the hiragana "su", which is the first
glyph on the line above the text "FULL STORY>". The "ha" glyph (fifth
on that same line) is also better in hint2.

Second set, same story. Most glyphs are better in hint3, but in hint2
I like the kanji after the text "SEK 2003" better because the stem
width is more consistent.

Hope that's helpful.

Raph