[gs-devel] Re: A CJK expertise wanted

Leonardo leonardo at artifex.com
Tue Feb 21 03:23:46 PST 2006

Dear Mr. Suzuki,

Nice to hear from you.
Your help is really useful.

I would like to know better about the upper horizontal arm of Su.
In the font design space it is not exactly horizontal.
It upgrades from left to right.
Attaching a PDF file which embeds that font.
Use zoom to view it.

The question is whether we need to preserve
the slope in raster when its size is close to the pixel size.

hint2 moves the arm middle to the pixel boundaries,
so that bumps appear at ends, and the slope looks smaller.

hint3 moves the end of the arm to pixel boundary.
Therefore the boundary crosses pixel centers near
the middle of the arm, and in hint3 the left part of the arm
looks lower than the right part of the arm.

So I would say that hint2 diminishes the slope,
and hint3 enlarges the slope.

The question is whether the slope is important for reading.
If it is, we should prefer hint2.
Otherwise we should prefer hint3,
because it looks more smooth.
This questions may look stupid,
but I really need a reasoned answer
because my knowledge of CJK languages is poor.

I guess the slope is not much important with
alphabetic glyphs such as Katakana or Hiragana.
But when we deal with hieroglyphs,
I suspect that it may be opposite.
Therefore I'd appreciate a better explanation
about importance of slopes for CJK hieroglyphs.
Also I'd like to know whether the importance is same for
all CJK languages, or may depend on language.

Thank you.

Leo.