[gs-devel] Re: supporting COMPILE_INITS when cross-compiling

Ralph Giles ralph.giles at artifex.com
Fri Feb 24 10:05:24 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:44:17AM -0700, Stefan Kemper wrote:

> I'm missing something...
>
> For an embedded build CCAUX is the host compiler.  CC is the crosscompiler.

Yes. The problem is that while mkromfs.c is compiled with CCAUX, it
links to zlib and some gp_* code, both of which are compiled with CC,
so out of the box it just isn't going to work with a cross.

> The way I hacked the makesystem that used to want to build arch.h using a
> compiler/OS that was incapable of doing so, was to add a copy from
> gold/arch.h to obj/arch.h as a replacement for the build it on the fly.

Ok, two questions:

1) Why didn't the current CCAUX/CC split for you here?

2) You've described a work around, which is of course possible with the
romfs stuff; the only extra step is you have to manually delete the
extra object files after building mkromfs with the target arch.h but
CC=hostcc. Do you consider this work around sufficient for embedded
customers?

As Ray has explained, the generated gsromfs.c is endian-dependent based
on the value of ARCH_IS_BIG_ENDIAN in arch.h, and we don't have makefile
dependencies for all the included files, so some manual work is needed
regardless.

Thanks for your comments,
 -r