[gs-devel] Re: supporting COMPILE_INITS when cross-compiling

Ralph Giles ralph.giles at artifex.com
Tue Feb 28 12:13:02 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 07:19:41PM -0700, Stefan Kemper wrote:

> > 1) Why didn't the current CCAUX/CC split for you here?
>
> Split?  2 years ago the arch.h was built using the CC compiler.

arch.h is build by genarch, which is compiled with CCAUX, at least in
unix-aux.mak and msvctail.mak. This was the case in ghostscript-6.0 as
well.

Now, obviously that can give you the wrong values for the arch.h
constants since it's testing the host rather than the target, but
that's a separate issue.

> Guess I see a fundamental problem with having CC and CCAUX output to the
> same obj directory.

Yes, separting the two makes sense for a cross compile. Perhaps the best
way to automate such a build would be to invoke a recursive make with
ZOBJDIR and GLOBJDIR, and AUXGEN overridden and then copy the output
over.

Thanks for your thoughts,
 -r