[gs-devel] Merger of ESP and GPL GhostScript: Completed driver part

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 12:52:47 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have now completed the driver part of the merger by updating the build
system to add all necessary checks for the drivers (especially for CUPS
Raster and OpenPrinting Vector) and to make selection of drivers to be
built in much easier. Especially one can also build a GhostScript with
none of the extra drivers from the contrib/ directory by supplying the
option "--disable-contrib" to "./confugure".

Other additional options are "--with-drivers" to select drivers and
"--with-fontpath" to easily add the system's font locations (call the
system's GhostScript with "gs -h" and add the paths shown in the end of
the output),

"./configure" also auto-detects whether the X drivers can be modularized.

For correct building of the CUPS filters the definition of the version
number was moved from src/version.mak to ./configure (or src/configure.ac).

The build rules for Omni I have removed from src/contrib.mak, as
gdevomni.c is present in the contrib/ directory. So its build rules
belong into contrib/contrib.mak.

To get from current SVN to the driver-enhanced GhostScript, do in an
empty directory:

svn co svn+ssh://svn.ghostscript.com/svn/ghostscript/trunk/gs
wget
http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/esp-gpl-ghostscript-merge/ghostscript-8.57-bjc880j-lips2p-lips4-lips4v.patch
wget
http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/esp-gpl-ghostscript-merge/ghostscript-8.57-build-system.patch
wget
http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/esp-gpl-ghostscript-merge/ghostscript-8.57-contrib-drivers.tar.gz
wget
http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/esp-gpl-ghostscript-merge/ghostscript-8.57-ljet4pjl-lj4dithp-dj505j-picty180.patch
wget
http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/esp-gpl-ghostscript-merge/ghostscript-8.57-x11-svga-as-shared-library.patch
cd gs
tar -xvzf ../ghostscript-8.57-contrib-drivers.tar.gz
patch -p1 < ../ghostscript-8.57-x11-svga-as-shared-library.patch
patch -p1 < ../ghostscript-8.57-ljet4pjl-lj4dithp-dj505j-picty180.patch
patch -p1 < ../ghostscript-8.57-bjc880j-lips2p-lips4-lips4v.patch
patch -p1 < ../ghostscript-8.57-build-system.patch
./autogen.sh --help
./configure --enable-dynamic --disable-compile-inits --with-driver=ALL
--with-fontpath=/var/lib/defoma/gs.d/dirs/fonts:/usr/share/cups/fonts:/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts:/usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts:/usr/share/fonts

make
sudo make install
gs -h

The "./configure" command line is an example for Ubuntu Feisty. It makes
all drivers being built and the "--with-fontpath=..." is adapted to
Ubuntu Feisty. Adapt it to your distro.

Run "./configure --help" for the complete set of options. Run "make
distclean" before rebuilding with other "./configure" options.

Please everyone test this version. All changes concern the output
devices and so each change by itself should not break more than some
output devices. The core PostScript/PDF interpreter is completely
unchanged in this stage of the merger.

Now we can easily replace ESP GhostScript without loss of any printer
being supported.

Please tell me whether I can start to upload this into the subversion
repositories of GPL GhostScript.

Next step will be to add the CUPS extensions into the lib/*.ps files.

Mike, what is still missing on the merger?

    Till