[gs-devel] Can't find CID font "TimesNewRoman"

mingqiang yu mingqiang at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 14:31:52 UTC 2010

I'm getting the following error for one of my pdf files when I use 'gs
myfile.pdf':

Can't find CID font "TimesNewRoman".
Substituting CID font /Adobe-Identity for /TimesNewRoman, see
doc/Use.htm#CIDFontSubstitution.
The substitute CID font "Adobe-Identity" is not provided either. Will
exit with error.
Error: /undefined in findresource
Operand stack:
   --dict:8/17(L)--   C2_4   1   --dict:5/5(L)--   --dict:5/5(L)--
TimesNewRoman,Bold   --dict:10/12(ro)(G)--   --nostringval--
CIDFontObject   --dict:7/7(L)--   --dict:7/7(L)--   Adobe-Identity

The following is a line in the output of 'gs -c 'loadallfonts quit' command:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/times.ttf... 4928912 3559524 7226064
5837907 1 done.

When I execute /TimesNewRoman findfont, I get:

Scanning /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype for fonts... 33 files, 32
scanned, 31 new fonts.
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/times.ttf... 2551552 1226203 3180540
1872031 1 done.

It says on the user manual
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/cvs/Use.htm#CIDFonts:
CID font resources must first be combined with a CMap resource, which
defines specific codes for glyphs, before it can be used as a font.
This allows the reuse of a collection of glyphs with different
encodings.
The simplest method to request a font composed of a CID font resource
and a CMap resource in a PostScript document is
    /CIDFont-CMap findfont
where CIDFont is a name of any CID font resource, and CMap is a name
of a CMap resource designed for the same character collection. The
interpreter will compose the font automatically from the specified CID
font and CMap resources. Another method is possible using the
composefont operator.
CID fonts must be placed in the /Resource/CIDFont/ directory. They are
not found using Font lookup on the search path or font path.

But I don't even have a CIDFont directory inside my Resource
directory. I don't know how I can make the CID font TimesNewRoman work
with the pdf file. When I look at the properties of my pdf file, it
shows:
Arial, Bold
    Type: TrueType(CID)
     Encoding: Identity-H