[gs-devel] doubt about the documentation for PDFA

Gamboz Matteo gamboz at medialab.sissa.it
Fri Sep 2 14:38:34 UTC 2011

Hi,
   I have a doubt about the documentation where it explains how to
create PDF/A files:
http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/9.04/Ps2pdf.htm#PDFA

On the third point, the page reports that -sProcessColorModel=DeviceRGB
is not allowed.

However, I can validate successfully a pdf file created with
-sProcessColorModel=DeviceRGB (attached). The file validates correctly
agains pdfa-1b with 3-Heights PDF Validator Online Tool:
http://www.pdf-tools.com/pdf/validate-pdfa-online.aspx

The attached file was created as follow:

convert -size 300x300 xc:red x300.jpg

cat > x.tex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics[width=1in]{x300.jpg}
\end{document}

^D

pdflatex x && pdflatex x

gs -P -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o a.pdf \
-dUseCIEColor \
-sProcessColorModel=DeviceRGB \
-dPDFA \
-dPDFACompatibilityPolicy=1 \
PDFA_def.ps \
x.pdf

I am attaching also PDFA_def.ps. Here I have commented the check on the
/ProcessColorModel, customized /ICCProfile (also attached) and
/OutputConditionIdentifier and on line 31, I set the value of /N to "3"
instead of "4".

I have not filed a bug for this, because gs seems to work well. Maybe it
is just an incoherence with the documentation?

Thanks all