[gs-devel] downsampling to a specific resolution

Gamboz Matteo gamboz at medialab.sissa.it
Wed Sep 7 12:57:32 UTC 2011

On 09/07/2011 01:40 PM, ademmler wrote:
> Dear Matteo,
>
> attached my.cfg file to make it work use: "gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o
> outfile.pdf my.cfg infile.pdf"

Thanks Alexander for your answer, but it did not work for me.

AFAICT, gs seems to downsample only to resolutions that are an integer
factor of the original resolution (or something close to that).
For instance, for a image with original resolution of 300dpi, I can get
down to 50, 60, 75, 100, 150.
For one with original resolution of 251 (a prime number), I can get down
to 50 (where 50x5=250), 62 (where 62x4=248), 83, 125. But for any target
resolution from 126 to 249 I always get 251 (i.e. no change).

Maybe what I need is more correctly a "resample".