[gs-devel] new beta release AFPL Ghostscript 8.30
ralph.giles at artifex.com
Tue Jun 1 19:49:51 PDT 2004
Artifex Software, Inc. and artofcode LLC are pleased to announce a new
beta release, AFPL Ghostscript 8.30. This is a testing release of our
development tree and is the first milestone toward the 8.50 major
This is an early beta release and should not be used for production
work; it is only intended for those interested in a preview and in
helping us test.
New features in this version :
* Topological grid fitting, an original method developed for
Ghostscript by Dr. Igor V. Melichev, improves the rendering of True Type
fonts at small resolutions. See the documentation for GridFitTT for
information on this feature.
* The PDF writer now implements PDF 1.4 encryption. See the encryption
parameter documentation for more information.
* A new rendering method for shadings, developed for Ghostscript by Dr.
Igor V. Melichev, improves the quality and performance of rasterization
on continuous tone devices. The new method allows hardware or software
acceleration with help of customizable routines for filling areas with a
linearly varying color. functions.
* This version contains the first release of Rinkj, an experimental new
driver for some inkjet printers using ETS screening. See the Rinkj
section of the Devices documentation for more information.
* We now support PDF 1.5 files, including the new compression and
* We have beta support for Jpeg2000 compressed images, using the JasPer
compression library. This is only enabled as part of the default build
in the autoconf (POSIX) build system in this release.
The release is available from the usual locations:
Currently only unix source archives are available. Packages for other
platforms wil follow in a few days.
Thanks to everyone who contributed!
----- End forwarded message -----
More information about the gs-devel